14 Comments

1. Rob Knowlan
    10/25/2014 @ 4:20 PM

Wow, that’s a really tough subject to handle respectfully and thoughtfully. I believe you have really hit the mark. PTSD is definitely not just a battlefield condition. It is a massive overwhelm of one’s coping mechanisms. Those vary from person to person, as you explained. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this very difficult topic.

2. Victoria Virgo
    10/23/2014 @ 5:36 AM

I have only heard of this condition in connection with soldiers returning from war. Thank you for sharing a different viewpoint and situation where this occurs. I am sure that this will help other families understand that they are not alone.

3. Sue Fleckenstein
    10/22/2014 @ 3:05 PM

Thanks for this post Jenn. I have heard lots about this topic from the viewpoint of local first responders. Thank you so much for bringing attention to this topic. It really does warrant further discussion in the open. I hope your daughter heals well.
    Thank you again!

4. Jeanne Melanson
    10/17/2014 @ 9:15 PM

Oh my goodness. This was quite an interesting article. I always think of soldiers too when I hear PTSD. I never thought of it in the ways you are describing, but of course it makes perfect sense.

I heard about the case with Kelli but haven’t followed it. I did click on your link to read her blog though. Wow. What a disaster. It hit me in the heart when she said,

“I have ruined everything. I should have stroked egos.”

You’ve picqued my interest about this topic now. Thanks for the eye-opening post, and I wish you and your daughter much healing.

5. sojourner
    10/17/2014 @ 9:07 PM

What a complicated affliction. I’ve never given too much thought to PTSD. I definitely assumed it was something soldiers got. The connection between PTSD and kids is enlightening since I’m a teacher.

6. Stefanie @ Calledhis.com
    10/17/2014 @ 11:37 AM

I love this post. Pinning! I don’t think people have enough awareness about how serious PTSD is, or what can cause it. I think it’s so important you’re spreading awareness.

7. Cynthia Dixon
    10/17/2014 @ 8:37 AM

Jenn this is a very interesting article. I’ve never thought about PTSD in this way. You’ve really shed a lot of light on this troubling condition and all the things that can cause it. I know people who are victims of war. They’re not in the armed forces but were actually held in concentration camps.

Their PTSD is real and effects them differently. I don’t know a lot about the disorder, but often associate it with those in the military. You’ve given me a lot to think about. I know your article will help a lot of people see PTSD differently.

8. Lynn
    10/16/2014 @ 9:32 PM

This article was quite insightful. I do tend to think of soldiers when I think of PTSD. You have given me a new awareness. Thank you.

9. Maggie C
    10/16/2014 @ 9:01 PM

Wow…you raised a lot of good points here. I do wonder about the families of non-typical children, especially as the children get older. I can’t even imagine how hard that is, and then to have nowhere to “vent”? That’s hard.
    I appreciate you sharing your personal story.

10. Laurel Regan
    10/16/2014 @ 8:40 PM

Very interesting and moving post – lots of food for thought about a devastating disorder. I wish you and your family all the best.

11. Mel Day
    10/16/2014 @ 3:41 PM

Wow. That’s a powerful story. You’ve covered the area of PTSD well and I can see how you’re trying to understand it because of how much it personally means to you and your family. I have no idea how I would cope in a your circumstances but you hit the nail on the head: as a parent you can’t walk away without consequences. Sounds like there’s an opportunity for someone to start a movement to get support for families of those in a similar situation. Thank you for sharing.

12. Alexandria Gunn
    10/16/2014 @ 1:41 PM

It’s such a difficult disorder to go through. A friend was and still is going through it when I first met him. At first I struggled to understand what was setting him off, and then it’s difficult to find the right things to do or say. Thanks for sharing this well-written post. It will be an eye-opener for many.

13. Mary Hill
    10/16/2014 @ 1:41 PM

Very raw and poignant look at a very provocative subject. I have been abused in the past, but I don’t has PTSD. I worry about my daughter because of turbulent times in our family. I am going to take her to counseling. Her father and I love her so much and she was a victim when our grandson was abused by his father. Social services took him and his sister away from us. It was a terrible time. Thanks for sharing. You are not alone.

14. Sheryl at LibertyHillHouse.com
    10/16/2014 @ 1:35 PM

I can’t even express how necessary it was for me to read this today. Hugs to you and your daughter. Do you happen to have a list of PTSD resources that have helped you, as the parent, to deal with this?